vs. Golf to Donkey Kong 3: Part 2

Now I did mention that this cabinet was filthy didn’t I?:

IMG_4681

 

Out came the vacuum and some Pledge floor cleaner (with added hot water) and I started cleaning up the bottom and insides of the cabinet. I thought it best to get rid of this now before I started repairing the cabinet, mainly for my own health! After a couple of hours, I had something looking like this:

img_4694.jpg

It’s still not finished drying out, but looks a lot better!

At this point, I began to assess the damage and work out what parts of the cabinet needed work. I’d already dealt with the nails on the outer sides, so now was time to focus on the other damage. I took photographs of each section I knew I’d need to tackle with filler (or bondo for the US readers):

IMG_4644

IMG_4645

img_4646.jpg

img_4647.jpg

IMG_4648

img_4649.jpg

As you can see, there are a number of corners that will need to be rebuilt and some holes filled. It didn’t look all too bad, so out came the filler (bondo) and I started on one side. It became clear very quickly this wasn’t going to be as simple as I’d hoped:

img_4707.jpg

Yes, I’ll admit, I got a bit heavy handed in some areas, but nothing that couldn’t be sorted during the sanding phase. Both sides of the cabinet got the same treatment and after an Amazon delivery container my new handheld sander, the sanding began:

img_4730.jpg

I think each side was sanded and had filler re-applied about three times, building up damaged corners and working my way around the whole panel trying to get as flat a surface as possible. Below are some pictures of the repaired areas:

img_4734.jpg

img_4737.jpg

img_4741.jpg

With both sides done, I started work on the front coin door panel and speaker panel. Both had taken a lot of abuse over the years and needed some time to get that flat:

IMG_4747

img_4748.jpg

Again, these panels took 2-3 goes of sanding and filling before they were ready for paint, due to the number of dings, dents and scuffs:

img_4759.jpg

Out of all the panels, I probably spent the most time of the bottom edges of these two as I knew they’d be the most visible edges when the cabinet was reassembled.

Now that all of the major filling and sanding was done, I could start with the primer.

One Comment Add yours

  1. neil1637 says:

    Ah yes. The filler stage. You never know just how much there will be, until you start…….

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s